Sunday 14 February 2021
Historic 15th century Grade II Thameside Listed House gifted by Elizabeth The First goes on sale, though estate agent admits the decor needs a bit of 'updating' as it has been under the same ownership for 50 years without much modification.
The Grade II-listed Wargrave Court, in the village of Wargrave, Berkshire, has hit the market for the first time in a generation for a princely sum of £3.5million through estate agents Savills. This stately home, which comes with a private island, was owned by Neville family and descendants for three centuries. It is thought to have been seized by Queen Elizabeth I from Bishop of Winchester after he vexed her during a sermon and then gifted to their ancestor Sir Henry Neville of Billingbear House. The politician, who was ambassador to France, was previously considered by some academics to be a potential candidate for the authorship of William Shakespeare's plays.
The property features a grand reception hall, drawing room, sitting room, dining room, kitchen/breakfast room, seven bedrooms and four bathrooms in total. It’s back garden rolls down to the river bank where there is a boathouse and mooring. Directly opposite is a small island that partly belongs to the property.
Wargrave Court, which was built around the late 15th or early 16th century, was owned by the Neville family and their descendants for three centuries. Originally the building in Wargrave, Berkshire, was used as a court for manorial administrative purposes - ensuring disputes of the villagers were resolved, dues paid and fines levied. It was altered and extended in the late 18th century, and then divided in 1955. Since then, Wargrave Court has only had two owners, with the current owners buying it in 1978. The house has retained lots of period features, with exposed beams and original fireplaces throughout and the reception hall has panels of late 18th century tapestry work.
The property's floorplan, with the main house having a gross internal area of 5,540 sq ft, the garage having a gross internal area of 432 sq ft and the outbuildings having a gross internal area of 315 sq ft
The property has 7.7 acres of land, including a tennis court and the village green which is leased to the church on a peppercorn rent. It also has a formal garden with a summer house, roses and mature shrub borders. It also has a wet boathouse and one can get straight out onto the river, a tributary of the Thames, from the property.
Khan sets about rewilding London.
Plans for 1000 home skyscrapers submitted in Manchester
Please fill in the following form and one of our consultants will be in touch shortly...