Use Class E of the Use Classes Order 1987 (as amended) was introduced by the Government on 1st September 2020 and covers the former use classes of A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional), A3 (restaurants and cafes) and parts of D1 (non-residential institutions) and D2 (assembly and leisure) and puts them all into one new use class.
Use class D1 (This use class has been replaced with various classes as of 1st September 2020 - see Classes Summary for more details).
D1 – Non Residential Institutions
D1 is any use not including a residential use:
* for the provision of any medical or health services except the use of premises attached to the residence of the consultant or practioner
* as a crêche, day nursery or day centre
* for the provision of education
* for the display of works of art (otherwise than for sale or hire)
* as a museum
* as a public library or public reading room
* as a public hall or exhibition hall
* for, or in connection with, public worship or religious instruction
Sample of Conversion to D1 (educational): Click here
Sample of Conversion to D1 (healthcare): Click here
Use class D2 (This use class has been replaced with various classes as of 1st September 2020 - see Classes Summary for more details).
D2 – Assembly and Leisure
D2 use is used as:
* a cinema,
* a concert hall,
* a bingo hall or casino,
* a dance hall,
* a swimming bath, skating rink, gymnasium or area for other indoor or outdoor sports or recreations, not involving motorised vehicles or firearms.
Sample of Conversion to D2 (gymnasium/ personal training centre): Click here
Next Question: What is Class E Planning Usage?
Please fill in the following form and one of our consultants will be in touch shortly...